Random Thoughts And Beyond...

Average guy with random thoughts

25/06/2006

Piracy



I went to meet some friends last night and we ended up in Edgware Road. I haven't been in this road for months and I wish I didn’t go last night…

Until then, I never noticed how the street transforms into an open-air bazaar late at night. I counted at least 6 street vendors selling fake designer goods (most of them display their goods on foldable tables which they carry arround) and the latest pirate dvd's.

While sitting on a terrace, we were approached by 3 Chinese women, one after the other, selling "dbd’s". One of my friends bought 3 dvd’s for 10 pounds. I got tempted when the last one approached us and I asked her which dvd's she had.

Just when she opened her tesco-bag to show me the dvd’s, two guys came out of nowhere, flashing their badges and identifying themselves as police officers. Both were in civil uniforms , so I didn’t take them seriously at the beginning. This changed when I saw the first one pulling the woman aside and handcuffing her. The second one asked me if I bought dvd's from her. After explaining him that I didn't know her and that I didn't buy anything from her, he started giving me a lecture of a life time about dvd-piracy being a form of theft, that buying pirate dvd’s would make me a thief, for stealing from those involved in "the film industry" and how it could lead to my arrest! Fortunately, I got away with a warning. Meanwhile, my (so-called) friends, especially he who actually bought the dvd’s minutes ago, had the laugh of a lifetime, while others on the table next to us gave me their condemning looks. Of course, out of all people, this had to happen to me...

I heard the Chinese women screaming in the background that the dvd’s aren’t hers and that she found the bag on the street.

This is my advice to you: Never even think of buying pirate dvd’s on the streets, simply download them :-)

7 Comments:

At 25/06/2006, 09:42 , Blogger MSB said...

ouch!!!! typical.. u see others getting away with it, but when it comes to us, we get busted! :)

 
At 25/06/2006, 14:46 , Blogger BitterSweet said...

Exactly! We must be very very lucky :-)

 
At 27/06/2006, 18:07 , Blogger Q8Sultana said...

wow, I didn't know they actually had undercover policemen working on such cases.
I guess I never think of downloading and pirated stuff as stealing, because I kinda feel like since I don't have money to buy the real things always, I am left with no choice but to go for the fake.

 
At 27/06/2006, 22:22 , Blogger BitterSweet said...

I too didn't expect they actually they did. But I have seen it in real life: they do take it seriously!
Honestly, I think whether one could afford going to the cinema or not, the prices they charge (9 pounds or more) is just ridiculous. I find that extortion! So, no wonder people come up with creative alternatives. Long lives the technology ☺

 
At 30/06/2006, 23:29 , Blogger Q8Sultana said...

Well, here in the 'countryside', the cinema tickets only cost a bit over 5 pounds...
you should consider relocating. cheaper movies, and pretty beaches :o)

Just kidding...can't wait to move to London...although the way things are looking jobwise, I might end up working in Starbucks :o)

 
At 30/06/2006, 23:59 , Blogger BitterSweet said...

Wauw, I should really take relocating the beautiful countryside seriously! 5 pounds for a cinema ticket: now that's just reasonable, especially if you're like me, movie-addict.

As for finding jobs in London, in the few months that I'm here, I drew the conclusion that without a large network, it is a hell of job finding a decent job.

I must visit that town/village soon ;-)

 
At 01/03/2007, 05:23 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice site! Shopping for digital cameras Car title loans in s.c 100 drive gb hard laptop discount eyeglasses and massachusetts Refinancing rates second mortgage oregon21 cable camera digital kodak usb kia sedona fog light bbw admirers personals florida samsung v700 digital camera

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home